The Friend's Tavern

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Come in come in! Have a seat would ya! Come on, sit down, have a drink, and tell us all about your travels!

2 posters

The Hope of Healing - Post Apocalypse

MumsySnuggleButt
    MumsySnuggleButt
    Admin

The Hope of Healing - Post Apocalypse Empty The Hope of Healing - Post Apocalypse

Post by MumsySnuggleButt Fri May 06, 2016 11:13 pm

The Hope of Healing - Post Apocalypse City10

Chicago, the once loud, hive of a city, now decrepit, near silent, and dead. Six years after the outbreak, and almost everyone was gone.

But it's rumored that in the heart of the city, where everything began, laid a few select places that were left untouched by living people; drugstores, hospitals, pharmacies - all mostly intact. The few people left don't dare go to the center of the city, though. Just as it is filled with supplies, it is just as filled with the undead.

To go there and be so ridiculously outnumbered would be a death sentence.

But to succeed.... That would rival the great treasures of a thousand kings.

In the outskirts, Tracy stared at the skyline - painted in pink in the light of dawn. "This isn't going to work, Trace..." Wendell whispered, as Kalie and Cody were still sleeping. She didn't look back at his look of disapproval.

"It has to. We have to get her some medicine." She dared not think of failure. A breath steadied her thoughts; supplies in numerous amounts, enough to keep them happy for months, and a happy, healthy girl.

"Let me rephrase myself," She rolled her eyes as she heard her mother gripe through him, "You're not going. If anything, I should go in there."

"You're stronger than I am, you can protect them better than I can. I'm faster than you-" He shushed her as her tone rose. Her face scrunched up, and she continued quieter than before. "I am. I can get there and back quicker than you could."

"Just wait, Tracy." She turned to see his hands up. "Let's think of a better plan, first. If we can't, we'll go with your idea, but I don't like that plan."

She pondered the agreement for a while. Hers was the fastest solution. It could, and will, work. The look on his face, however, told her he wouldn't budge this time. Again, she saw their mother in him, and the acidic feeling of guilt bubbled up. "Fine." the word got spat through clenched teeth. Every second they wasted thinking was a second they could be using to help their baby sister.

As he turned away with a nod, an idea struck her. She wouldn't waste more time than she had to. He could sit and wait around, but she couldn't. She won't.

The cover of darkness let her slip out of their makeshift camp and out of the crumbling apartment building, and once more she looked towards the skyline. Where others saw despair and death, she looked upon the city in hope.

Her feet skidded down the gravel on the hill, and she headed towards Chicago.

Voipray
    Voipray
    Admin

The Hope of Healing - Post Apocalypse Empty Re: The Hope of Healing - Post Apocalypse

Post by Voipray Fri May 06, 2016 11:43 pm

The Hope of Healing - Post Apocalypse Tumblr_nqvbzqSlDy1st27xbo2_1280-9509

His voice kept ringing in his ears, over and over that same cruel and unforgiving voice clamored in his head. "Listen up punk, we got word about the whole chicago shtick. Apparently the old nigga's who used to live there were so hard that they left whole pockets a untouched shops up there, hospitals, pharmacies, liquor sto's, drug sto's, hell they even got old gang dens out there. Go find em and tell us if this shit is legit, if it's real we'll roll on in, if not then fuck wut I jus said."

Carmine so hated that man, he ruled over his life like an iron vice. "All the... FUCKING drugs... god damnit..." Carmine couldn't go long without em, and the gangs... well, they were only ones who made em. They owned him and they knew it, 'kill these guys and you get the dope' they'd always say. Carmine never had time to think, never wanted to think, thinking got people killed so he just kept his thoughts to himself.

He'd been on the road for awhile now, thankfully the streets hadn't been screwed up too bad, didn't want to screw up his nice bike after all. That bike... it was pretty much all he had left, well, the only thing he had left that wasn't worth getting rid of. It was loud though, attracted quite a bit of attention, thankfully the walkers were too slow to get to him most of the time. But maybe they would one day, hopefully.
    MumsySnuggleButt
    MumsySnuggleButt
    Admin

The Hope of Healing - Post Apocalypse Empty Re: The Hope of Healing - Post Apocalypse

Post by MumsySnuggleButt Sat May 07, 2016 12:20 am

The Hope of Healing - Post Apocalypse Tracy10

It was mid morning by the time she got anywhere near the city. She had narrowly avoided a hoard of zombies, and a few stragglers on the way there. She actually felt rather clever; throwing things to grab their attention may not have been a novel idea, but it was one that worked nonetheless.

But now she was wandering down alleyways, letting her sawblade bat swing by her side. "This isn't so bad... You're a loon, Wendy." She mumbled to herself. This was the best plan ever. "Walk in, walk out, and we're golden." She chuckled. This was going to be even easier than she thought. Her feet lifted off the ground a few times as she allowed herself a bit of giddiness to shine through.

Banging and crashing alerted her and she realized she had been too inattentive of her backswing, a couple of trashcans shattering the silence. "No, No...!" She slapped a hand over her mouth and spun, looking and listening....

A sound, gurgling and groaning.... and then there were more. She was going to be surrounded soon, she had to act fast. Again, she searched, and down the alley sat a few large dumpsters that lead a path up a few jutting air ducts. That would do.

She forgoed being quiet and leapt towards the safer area, unfortunately making more noise in the process of climbing. She cussed and spat under her breath, and a look over her shoulder only confirmed her panic. Zombies - Half a dozen of them wandering down either side of the alley, and she was alone. She clambered up and scooted as far back on the duct as possible, readying herself for the fight.

A prayer floated around in her head as she swung at one of the undead. 'Let me go back to them.... please...' She swung again and missed, allowing one to bend over the edge of the dumpster. 'Please, let me see them again. Let me tell him he was right. Let me go back.' Her breathing turned into wheezing, and a loud grunt as she kicked the face of the zombie.

She was trapped. 'Please, have mercy. I need a miracle, or an angel, or something.... Please!'
    Voipray
    Voipray
    Admin

Post by Voipray Sat May 07, 2016 12:50 am

Carmine had just parked and stowed away his bike once he got to the point of no return, no way he was riding his way to downtown. He needed to make his way on foot, so he took out his tools of the trade; Five throwing knives, spiked knuckles, his favorite meat cleaver, and a good old fashion Molotov. As much as he hated the gangs, they gave him nice tools to work with. He put on his bikers helmet slowly and flicked the visor down to hide his eyes, he didn't know why but the whole faceless killer gig scared people to their core, that and it hid the junkie eyes; dear god he hated his eyes...

He had also brought something special with him, a jukebox. He took it off the side of his bike and set it down on the ground, keeping an eye out for zombies and looters who might be watching. He cranked up the volume full blast and put in a small cassette tape, going further into the city with it. He set it up and started blasting loud music, it was very old tape, some stoner band's forgotten mixtape of sorts. It wasn't great, but it got the attention of anyone nearby. Carmine then started to run away into the dense alley's of chicago to work his way through the city, he didn't like staying near the jukebox for too long as it hurt his ears.

He went on for quite awhile, anything that could hear his music would've been swarming the box by now. So not only did he draw attention away from himself, he knew nothing would steal his bike. However... he heard something, groaning and moaning... he sighed and shivered a bit "why now..." he had no where else to go that wasn't out in the open. He cracked his knuckles and went forward, taking out his molotov and prepping it. "Just gotta keep moving... It'll all be fine... Just keep moving..." he repeated to himself over and over. He got to where the noise was coming from, there was a fence between him and the commotion so he couldn't see much, but her sure as hell knew there were monsters on the other side. He tossed his molotov over the fence, it crashed into the crowd and lit them ablaze, they began moaning in agony as they melted away... and the smell... dear god the smell...
    MumsySnuggleButt
    MumsySnuggleButt
    Admin

Post by MumsySnuggleButt Sat May 07, 2016 12:59 am

She didn't have time to cover her face before the flames licked at the alley, and heat blasted her face. Luckily she was high enough up that none of the flames hit her. 'Who...?' Could she really be that blessed? But the smell ripped her nose to shreds, and she instantly regretted the blessing of breathing. "Uuugh..." Her eyes watered at the combination of heat and stench.

She was grateful, of course. Whoever had done that was going to get a hug. 'Unless they wanna kill me too... Then no hug.' She cracked open her eyes and watched the place where the moletov had flown from, and placed both hands on her bat, just in case.
    Voipray
    Voipray
    Admin

Post by Voipray Sat May 07, 2016 1:49 am

A hand flew over the fence, he pulled himself up and over after listening to make sure nothing was alive. He landed onto the scorched ground, cleaver and knives in hand. He tightened his grip on both as he looked around at the burnt and charred bodies, He'd yet to see Tracy as his visor was down.

Still, he looked rather dangerous albeit clad in fruity colors. Blood stained gloves and shoes, slightly torn jeans, and exposed arms with a few notable scars on them; and a cyan bikers helmet with scrapes, scratches, and what looks like a minor bullet hole. This man... whoever he was... had seen and done things Tracy would never hope to see her entire life.
    MumsySnuggleButt
    MumsySnuggleButt
    Admin

Post by MumsySnuggleButt Sat May 07, 2016 5:42 pm

She took a few deep breaths, and then a few more... But no matter what she couldn't catch her breath. Okay, don't panic, don't panic. She wasn't unarmed... if anything she could hit him and run. Too bad he wasn't as slow as the zombies.... Her gaze shifted to his hands, and the weapons gripped in them. She shifted, leaning a bit forward to see better when the metal buckled beneath her.

Flailing was her first instinct, her second was screeching in fear, and the third was obviously make as much noise as possible so the would-be attacker could find exactly where she was. She sighed heavily at her stupidity. Brilliantly executed as always, and graceful as ever. Wendell would have has a ball if he could see her now; giving away her position in such a fantastic matter.

She gripped the bat tighter and stared the Biker down, ready to leap into action.
    Voipray
    Voipray
    Admin

Post by Voipray Sat May 07, 2016 7:37 pm

Although his helmet hid it, his eyes shot open. "Thought I killed everything!" he thought to himself as he recoiled back, looking up at Tracy with his knives in hand. A... girl? He looked down at the ground, they must have been swarming her "Did I do that?" he thought again. No time to think.

He steadied himself in preparation... but it didn't feel right. He loosened his stance and grip with a sigh "Alright, who are you then?" the said with raspy voice, muffled behind his helmet. Tracy likely wouldn't have heard what he said but she could tell he was talking.
    MumsySnuggleButt
    MumsySnuggleButt
    Admin

Post by MumsySnuggleButt Sat May 07, 2016 8:26 pm

She recoiled, yanking back the weapon the instant he 'spoke' through his helmet, but the mumbling made her pause. He would've killed her already if he wanted to... right? She gripped the bat harder, trying to hide the shakes in her hands. "Wh...... What?" She barely spoke above her heavy breath. "Can't hear ya..."

The wind blew some of the stench away along with the hair from her face, exposing the slightly burnt cheeks to the air once more. She licked her chapped lips. What she wouldn't give for some chapstick in the ass-end of post-apocalyptic nowhere. But here she was; Talking to a possible murderer, who just saved her life from a hoard of zombies. She asks for an angel, and gets this guy? She had heard God works in mysterious ways, but this is insanity....
    Voipray
    Voipray
    Admin

Post by Voipray Sat May 07, 2016 9:17 pm

He tilted his head, he really didn't want to take the helmet off. Honestly he was used to just keeping it on like an executioners cowl, hiding the face of a horrible murderer, hiding the shame. He sighed and begrudgingly took it off to reveal his face.

The Hope of Healing - Post Apocalypse Tumblr_nlebr8q4ob1u6ix37o1_500

He had a greenish blue hair which was likely dyed to be that color, and a sweat band so he could get his helmet on without trouble. His eyes were tired and slightly blood shot, however his iris shimmered and gleamed in what light they had in the alley way. His nose looked as though it had been broken in the past. His lip was currently busted and there was a bandage covering a cut right under his eye. This man was a mess... Intriguing but a mess.

Again he spoke, "Who are you..." His voice was rasp yet... soft. Like it had been broken and ruined many times over, it must have sounded angelic once, hints of his past voice still remained.

He stared Tracy down with a hard expression, though she could see one of his hand were trembling. He didn't want to fight, even though he looked like he could kill her in a second.
    MumsySnuggleButt
    MumsySnuggleButt
    Admin

Post by MumsySnuggleButt Sat May 07, 2016 9:39 pm

She stared, openly, at his face and, more importantly, his eyes. Instead of answering, very slowly, she slid off the duct and scooted to sit on the edge of the dumpster. A gunmetal blue peered into him, reminiscent of storm filled seas, and just as deep. A hand lifted off the handle, moving in a smooth motion up; a.... handshake. "Tracy." She mumbled. A cough cleared her throat and she spoke louder. "Tracy Von Essen. Thank you... for saving me."

She hoped and prayed he wouldn't be angry, or run away, or.... something. Even just coming down was a huge risk. But she had a hope! And that was enough for her! She realized she hadn't moved in a while... so she gave him a soft smile.
    Voipray
    Voipray
    Admin

Post by Voipray Sat May 07, 2016 9:56 pm

He felt almost uncomfortable when she examined him, like she knew what he was; a freak and murderer. Why then, did she offer him her hand. He looked down at it, blushing a little he put away his cleaver, keeping his knives in his other hand. He took her hand slowly and reluctantly, "I-I'm... Carmine, j... just Carmine."

He let go of his hand and began examining her, why was she here? "This doesn't seem like... well, it's not too safe here you know." he said with a sound of genuine concern in his voice. "You lost or something?"

He wasn't expecting to meet a girl out here, much less a girl who didn't want to kill him. In fact he was half expecting to die here, so the friendliness was... off putting. "I-I can... I can show you the way out if you like? I mean... i-if you need it."
    MumsySnuggleButt
    MumsySnuggleButt
    Admin

Post by MumsySnuggleButt Sun May 08, 2016 11:31 pm

"WHAT? NO!" She hopped off the dumpster and she was..... Happy? She stood with her shoulders back and her smile widening, almost like she hadn't just been cornered by zombies. "I came here for a reason, dummy. I wanna be here." She dipped a shoulder and hopped over a pile of dead zombie goo. "I'm tryin' to get to the center of the city, you've heard the rumors, right?"

She spun to look at him, leaning on her bat like a pimp on a cane. "All the supplies left here? It's gotta be true, right? I mean if it wasn't, why isn't everything more wrecked than it should be?" She pointed down the street. "That clothing store has all it's windows intact. Y'don't think that's weird?" She kept talking. Did this girl ever shut up, Or was she constantly stuck on full speed?

"Speakin' of which... What are you doing here? Y'know, besides savin' my life." She placed a hand on a jutted hip, elbow propped up on the bat. "You here for the supplies too? You travelin' with anyone, or you all by yer lonesome?"
    Voipray
    Voipray
    Admin

Post by Voipray Sun May 08, 2016 11:57 pm

He bit his lip, worried as to how he should answer. "I... I'm." he paused for a moment. What should he say? He was part of a malicious gang of thieves and murderers who were plotting to take this city by storm. "I'm..." he sighed.

"I'm all alone here, I just... I-I came here to see if the rumors were true." he leaned against the fence, looking down trying to avoid eye contact with her. "So... w-why are you here then? You just need stuff?" he asked softly. He was fairly soft spoken, it was apparent he wasn't used to talking. How could he be? He's been talked down to for most of his recent life.
    MumsySnuggleButt
    MumsySnuggleButt
    Admin

Post by MumsySnuggleButt Mon May 09, 2016 12:18 am

As she listened, she stood up off the bat, and then her smile dipped and faded. Her eyes flicked away for the first time before returning. "My baby sister got sick..." Strangely, her voice matched his volume now, which was... quite pleasant now... "She needs the medicine there... And there might be more vaccines."

But her demeanor lifted and her eyes met his again. "Why don't we go there together?! Work together and stuff!" She nearly squeaked, and bounced as she spoke. "We both get what we want." she clapped, "It's great, right??"
    Voipray
    Voipray
    Admin

Post by Voipray Tue May 10, 2016 9:49 pm

He was taken aside by her enthusiasm to join up with him, he was... a murderer, hell WORSE than a murderer he let his loved ones die. If anything he'd get her hurt... or killed or... worse. "I... wh.. what? Why? I just met you. Are you serious?" he said harsher than he intended. "I mean... I... God damnit I'm sorry..."

He did this every time, ever since his dark days he'd been a wreck around people and he always said something wrong. Even before things went bad for him he had a hard time talking to people. Carmine sighed.

"I... look I appreciate it but... no, no I'd just... I'd get you killed or something. I'm sorry." he said painstakingly. He was really torn up, it almost visibly hurt for him to say this.
    MumsySnuggleButt
    MumsySnuggleButt
    Admin

Post by MumsySnuggleButt Tue May 10, 2016 10:17 pm

She blinked. Of course, he was a loner type, wasn't he? A pout formed on her face, lopsided and indignant, and her hand returned to her hip. "Despite what you've seen, I ain't helpless, hunny, even before the zombies. I can wrangle cattle fast enough to make yer head spin, and I can hog tie a calf in sixty seconds . I won the women's hay bale toss three years in a row." She held up three fingers to stress her point. "And I know how to work a pitchfork. Comes in handy with zombies, but the bat is my favorite." She picked it up and spun it a few times. "I was captain of the softball team."

She took a step closer, almost coming nose to nose with him if she hadn't been so short; she only came up to about his shoulder. Now her happy demeanor shrunk - not completely, but he could see the cold calculations and gears turning behind the stormy blues of her eyes. "I'm hardly some city princess. Besides... I wouldn't mind the company. Rather you than my brother." She wouldn't take no for an answer. Not by a long shot. Much to her dismay, her brother was right; she needed back up, and he was perfect for it.

"Unless.... you're intimidated." She smiled softly and shrugged. "If that's the case, it's fine. I understand. Not everyone can handle me." One of her eyebrows raised as she stared up at him mischievously.
    Voipray
    Voipray
    Admin

Post by Voipray Wed May 11, 2016 1:03 am

He hardened his gaze, she was... challenging him?! Carmine didn't get how to respond to these mind tricks. "What the..." he paused, taking a small step forward "I don't get intimidated." he was clearly flustered by all of this. He then thought to himself "First I get sent on a suicide mission, I kill a horde of zombies, accidentally save a girl, and now she's questioning my... MANHOOD?!"

Carmine took a few steps back. he sighed "Why ar... I don't even... I..." he really was having a hard time. "A-alright fine... I-I'll help you..." he slowly rubbed his face. "Look just... j-just don't make this weird, and... no 'wrangling' or... whatever that is." he then straightened out his posture.

Carmine really didn't like this but it wasn't like he had much choice in the matter, seemed like he never really had much choice in anything. Much less what happened to him.
    MumsySnuggleButt
    MumsySnuggleButt
    Admin

Post by MumsySnuggleButt Wed May 11, 2016 1:54 am

Her smile widened as he got more and more flustered. It was so entertaining making people's brains hurt. Men especially. They are so easy; give a little tap to their ego and they lose it. He was no exception. She even leaned in a bit before he stepped back to make him that much more uncomfortable. Easy as pie~

She giggled at his wrangling comment and pushed the thought aside for now. A gentle slap on Carmine's shoulder, "Awesome~!" then she skipped past him, grabbing his hand in the process and started pulling him. "You and I are gonna have lots'a fun, hun." Her bat drug on the ground, making a dull sound as she walked.
    Voipray
    Voipray
    Admin

Post by Voipray Fri May 13, 2016 10:38 pm

As he was dragged along he looked around in concern. He was going to get killed with this girl, she was going to talk the whole time, someone was gonna hear them, he was screwed. "U-uhm..." he softly spoke "U-uh tra... tracy? I... I think you should keep the noise down." he said desperately.

He didn't know how this would go, it felt... nice to have a partner for once but it scared him. He had always been alone, he'd never once trusted himself enough to be with someone ever since... he put the thought out of his mind. He sighed.

"I-I'll..." he spoke under his breath unable to be heard "I'll protect you... I-I promise..."
    MumsySnuggleButt
    MumsySnuggleButt
    Admin

Post by MumsySnuggleButt Sat May 14, 2016 12:33 am

"Don't worry about it, we'll be fine. Between the two of us, who can stop us?" She did however lower her volume to make him feel better. She skipped, elated that she finally had someone who wasn't family to hang out with. And she tried to ignore how warm his hand was, but that was beside the point.

"So where ya from, Carmie? I used to live outside of San Antonio, in Kyle. The city, not the person." She glanced back, before looking ahead, pausing only a few minutes to allow a couple of zombies to pass the alley, staying unseen and unnoticed. She gripped his hand tighter and ran across the street, ducking into the opposite alleyway. "Mama raised horses and dad grew a few things to sell beside his office job, and the five of us helped out. Me, My older brother and sister, and my younger brother and sister."
    Voipray
    Voipray
    Admin

Post by Voipray Sat May 14, 2016 1:19 am

Carmine hardly knew how to respond to all this dragging and pulling he was being subjected to, and all the talking. "I-I.." he could hardly get a word in with her talking and being hushed and hushing himself as to not attract attention. "I-I'm from... from wisconsin... or-originally. I don't go there anymore..." he said softly.

He started blushing a little bit, he had never really known anyone who wanted to know about him. He felt a little flattered albeit scared that someone wanted to dig into his past. "I'm... I don't have a home there anymore."
    MumsySnuggleButt
    MumsySnuggleButt
    Admin

Post by MumsySnuggleButt Sun May 15, 2016 11:50 pm

Her smile fell, thankfully unseen, but it was betrayed by the slowing of her brisk pace down to a calm walk. "Yeah, I know what'cha mean." She missed Texas. The north was too damn cold, and she missed the warm welcome of Texan folks. No. No, no, none of that. She shook her head slightly. Come on... What makes people feel better?

She glanced up, now he was walking beside her. She let go of his hand, sticking her own in her pocket. "But what was it like before? I've never been there.... What's your favorite thing there?"
    Voipray
    Voipray
    Admin

Post by Voipray Mon May 16, 2016 12:55 am

Carmine bit his lip, he almost said cigarettes but he realized how shallow and stupid that would've sounded. Not to mention that kind of stuff is killing him. "I... I don't really know. It's been so long now." he sighed.

He went quiet for a small while, he then started to think about home... "I... I actually remember the trees. They were huge, and it always felt so nice just to wander around the woods. It was always nice and cold too." He said quietly, starting a smile a bit. "I... I actually met my old girlfriend in those woods, we would go there and just... I..." his smile dropped "It's nothing..."
    MumsySnuggleButt
    MumsySnuggleButt
    Admin

Post by MumsySnuggleButt Mon May 16, 2016 10:29 pm

"No, what? It's okay." She raised a brow, still staring at him. She inched closer as they walked and lightly tapped his elbow with her arm. "You can tell me." Was she too close? She was probably too close.... No, no, it was fine.... Probably.

Just to be safe, she inched back. "I mean if you don't, that's okay we don't have to talk about it." She looked ahead. "We don't have to talk." Yes, they did. Her head would explode otherwise. "I'll be silent, you won't hear a peep out of me. Not one noise." She smiled. "You won't even notice me."

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 06, 2024 10:00 am